Order OnlineShopping cart
1.888.326.9244

Request Information

Safety Tutorial: Hazard Identification

Written by Steve Hudgik

What is a hazard?

The Oregon OSHA provides an excellent definition of a hazard as: "a danger which threatens harm to employees" or "unsafe workplace conditions or practices (dangers) that could cause injuries or illness (harm) to employees."

To identify hazards in a workplace, use a systematic approach. There are various strategies that can be used, depending on your type of business. This is one approach:

To make a workplace as safe as possible it is necessary to have an ongoing program of hazard identification.

Identify:

Use periodic surveys, inspections and observation to identify workplace hazards. Look for hazards in materials, equipment, the environment and that which could be caused by employees. According to SAIF about 3% of all accidents are caused by the first three of these. The remaining 97% are caused by the fourth category -- people. Use individual interviews, walk-around inspections and both informal and formal observation programs to identify hazards that could be caused by people. Do not be looking to place blame, instead be looking for ways to improve safety.

Analyze:

Once a potential hazard or unsafe work practice is identified, an analysis takes a closer look at the hazard to determine its nature and and root cause. The analysis also looks at what must be accomplished to eliminate or reduce the impact of the hazard.

A good approach to analysis is to have employees who are the most familiar with the problem area go step-by-step through their job process. Write down and describe each step. (Have them perform the job five or six times to be sure nothing is missed.) Then analyze each step to determine its impact on the potential hazard(s) and how the hazard can be eliminated or reduced.

This is called a Job Hazard Analysis. You can also do a process analysis, which breaks a process down into its component parts.

Develop Solutions:

Once the source of the hazard has been identified, develop ideas for possible solutions. Look at:

Engineering Controls - eliminate the hazard by redesigning equipment, changing processes, substituting materials, etc.

Management Controls - reduce exposure to hazards that engineering controls can not eliminate by establishing safe work procedures, work schedules, improving training and changing human behavior.

Interim Controls - when the desired changes can not be implemented immediately, use interim controls to eliminate or reduce worker risk until the final solution can be implemented.

Present Recommendations:

Provide a report to management that gives them the information they need to make a decision concerning the hazard(s). Identify the hazard(s); give an analysis of the root cause(s); provide alternative solutions; and provide an ROI analysis showing the payback and benefits of each solution.

Implement the Changes:

Make the changes management has approved.

Evaluate:

Monitor, evaluate and get feedback on the effectiveness of the changes. Go back to the first step above. This is important to ensure that the changes addressed the problem, and whether it is necessary to make additional modifications or improvements.

More Information: Management Controls | Reporting | VPP Label Printers


Related information: Reading Consumer Labels to identify hazardous materials

The above information is provided as a free service of Safe-Workplace.com. It is intended as a brief general introduction, for general information purposes only. It is not a substitute for proper training or review of applicable government regulations and standards.

For more information, or to order by phone,
if you are in the U.S. or Canada call toll-free: 1-888-326-9244.

The information presented in this document was obtained from sources that we deem reliable; Graphic Products does not guarantee accuracy or completeness. Graphic Products, Inc. makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied. Users of this document should consult municipal, state, and federal code and/or verify all information with the appropriate regulatory agency.

Contact Request

Back